NOTE: Open Trips at Wilderness Wind are canoe trips centered around a theme. Unlike our other canoe trips, you can register for a programmed trip as an individual.
Open Trips for 2015
Yoga on a rock RETREAT
- August 2-8, 2015. Take the time to refresh your body, mind, and spirit! Together with Flex Yoga Studio, Wilderness Wind presents Yoga on a Rock, a wilderness canoe and yoga retreat for folks who want to blend their yoga practice with adventure and the wild outdoors. This five-day wilderness retreat will take us deep into the pristine beauty of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW). The trip includes two pre-trip nights in Wilderness Wind’s Lakeside yurt or cabins, one day of canoe orientation (meals included), fully outfitted gear and healthy trail food for five days in the BWCAW, and one post-trip night at Lakeside. Yoga on a Rock will be guided by the dynamic duo: experienced canoe guide Aubrey Helmuth Miller and certified yoga instructor Annie Yoder. Each day in the BWCAW will include one to two daily yoga sessions, several miles of paddling, occasional portaging (carrying the canoe from one lake to another), backcountry camping, and opportunities for quiet reflection. We expect to laugh often, play with yoga by waterfalls and on granite boulders, and spot eagles, beavers, and loons. Open to adults of all ages and experience levels; some prior camping and yoga experience helpful but not required. Cost per person: $699. Contact us for more information or to register. You can also click HERE to download the registration form.
- You can pay your trip deposit with the link below. Please note that paying online will include a 3% fee to cover the charges we are assessed for credit/online transactions.
To avoid the 3% charge, mail your $200 deposit by check to:
2945 Hwy 169
Ely, MN 55731
- 4-5 day canoe trip. Dates determined by group. Typically done at the daughters’ milestone 12-year birthday year. Get a group and celebrate life on a memory-making trip with your friends and their families! (Mother-son trip has been discussed but not yet implemented. Be the first!)
Potential Progammed Trips*
*available per interest
Nature Photography with Brian Wolf
- 4-day canoe trip with additional days at Lakeside. Date TBD. Visit www.wolfsvisionphotography.com to learn about Brian. Open to all levels of canoe/camping/photography experience. Great opportunity!
Fishing in the Boundary Waters
- Dates TBD
Boundary Waters Biology
- 5 day canoe trip, late May/early June.
Men’s Rite of Passage
- Late spring or early autumn, dates TBD.
Wilderness and Wonder: Women’s Retreat
- 5 day women’s open trip. Dates TBD.
Programmed trips are offered based on demand and scheduling availability. Listed below are the programmed trips we’ve offered in the past. If you would be interested in participating in a trip – or have a new theme you’d like to see us offer – please let us know!
Previous Years’ Programmed Trips
- A concept inspired by the Native American tradition of soul-searching and discovery. Includes exploration of a highly secluded Primitive Management Area in the BWCA, wilderness survival skills training and a solo overnight
creation and RENEWAL
- A class offered in conjunction with Associated Mennonite Biblical Seminary in Elkhart, Indiana
- Discovering the wonders of birds in flight and song in the beautiful Boundary Waters and Quetico
- With the wild beauty of the Boundary Waters as your muse, this trip offers established and aspiring writers a unique opportunity to write and learn with authors Julia Kasdorf and Jeff Gundy
Please contact us if you are interested in attending or leading a programmed trip.